Thursday 23 March 2017

Reflective Analysis


The script I have written has been successful as I met a lot of my aims and context, which has resulted in finishing the script in the time I wanted to at a good standard.  I wrote the script alone so all of this is my own script and ideas so I had no input on what I was going to write.  My aim was to create a start to a film noir style film that can be continued to follow the story I have started. 

I feel I have met this with what is included in the script as it includes themes and issues used in film noir type of films.  These common issues include gangs, theft and violence.  I have included all of these in the script with the use of guns being used a lot even though in the script they are not used until the end.  But by mentioning that the gangs have them and hold them shows they intend to use them.  And guns are a main weapon to show violence and a main feature in film noir films.  I also included seeing the neon lights in the streets outside bars, this is a common convention of film noir.  This backs up the genre of my film as neon lights are big in this genre as well as violence, guns, gangs and drugs.  A big issue within the storyline is gang warfare, as I have used two rival gangs and created conflict between them which allows the story to continue.

Gang members are common characters in this genre, which is why I have used two rival gangs to create conflict between them.  Conflict is a big feature and this is what leads to the violence so without this violence would be difficult to interpret.   The use of theft shows a common theme of corruptness and having no boundaries by taking something that is not their own.  I intended to use all of these in the script as these all link in with the film noir genre.  Without these it could not be a film noir style film as these are the main issues within the genre.  

When burying the stolen goods i took inspiration from Shawshank Redemption directed by Frank Darabont with the story line written by Stephen King, when rocks are used to be able to locate where the items are buried.  By making a pile using small rocks this allows the goods to be found when i previously watched Shawshank Redemption this gave me the idea.

When using dialogue i added the way it was said to create an atmosphere so that there was some passion in what was being said.  For example i used anger, sarcasm and shouting which allowed the characters feelings to be shown.  This is important in the script as without it, feelings would not be able to shown and is why the dialogue is important.  Anger shows when  a character is not happy and this is used when The boss is not happy with what Carlo has done.  And by showing he said it angrily allows the audience to feel his feelings with the way he said it.  I feel i used this well as it is a really powerful method to show characters feelings and without using dialogue there is no other way of showing feelings within a story in a script.


 I changed some of my storyline over the course as I had different ideas which I felt would be better than my original idea.  I kept most things the same like the theft and being on the run as I had an idea and storyline but changed it to create a better storyline by introducing violence into the script.  This would be my biggest weakness by not taking more time to create a storyline that i think is good.  By changing it, this allowed me to use violence in the film as before there was no way of me including this.  An example of this would be the ending as I did not originally plan for a shoot-out in the end.  Originally it was just going to be Carlo still on the run, looking over the city.  I changed this to create more of a noir style with the guns and violence.  The more I wrote the more ideas I had which forced me to change a lot but still keep the same plot.   If I had of put more time into planning the script I would not have had to change as much as I ended up writing it straight off the top of my head in some places, still with the previous basic idea but I advanced from that.  By adding violence this also allowed the film to meet the target audience more as I aimed it for between 18-30 who are interested in the genre.  I feel the film fits well in this bracket and is appealing to this age for the target audience.  Due to the violence and based on other films in this genre it couldn't be any less than 18 due to the use of violence and theft.  This is why i decided to add violence and use of violence to the story. 

Throughout making this script i have learnt that an outline or storyboard is extremely helpful by having an idea before hand.  Even tho i had an outline more detail could of been added in order to have a really strong script.  I now know that this is essential and if i had to do it again i would take more time and detail to creating a story line.  Without one i would of had to think of ideas off the top of my head so this would be what i would improve.  I feel the script was successful as i was able to identify features and issues of the genre and include them into the film.  From this i was able to learn that i can write about genre's and create a story which i did not realise i could do well in which i could carry on with.


No comments:

Post a Comment